Ojai Writers Conference offers Weeklong Summer Writing Intensives
Ojai Aims to Attract Writers from Across the Nation and Around the World
OJAI, CA – Ojai has been attracting authors and writers to its mountain valley for centuries. Ojai Writers Conference & Workshops (OWCW) is hoping to attract writers back to its pink sunset-hued Shangri La, or for the first time, when it offers its second annual weeklong summer writing intensives July 14-21.
“For writers worldwide, we want the summer to become synonymous with writing in Ojai,” says Sequoia Hamilton, founder and Ojai resident. “In years past, writers traveled as far away as Europe, Asia, South America, Canada and Australia proving what many locals and visitors already know—that Ojai has international appeal and is a writer’s dream destination.”
Hamilton, who has a background in international special events, was inspired to create a national writing program after successfully helping to establish the new community literary festival Ojai WordFest which featured “top shelf” writing teachers, including one from the esteemed Iowa Summer Writing Festival. The more Hamilton researched literary festivals and writing conferences around the globe, the more she was determined to create a similar program of national scope in her hometown of Ojai.
Under the banner of Ojai Writers Conference, the Ojai Summer Writers Workshops will be offered to fledging and seasoned writers whose only pre-requisite is a desire to write. The weeklong event is limited to 12-16 writers in each class. Cost is $1,100. Meals and lodging are not included.
Workshops will be offered Monday thru Saturday, a 6-day “summer camp for writers” including “The Story You Have to Tell” Memoir/Creative Non-Fiction Workshop, “Novel Lab” for writers of Fiction, “Page to Screen” for Screenwriters and final day of “Spa-tacular Writing” which combines spa-soaking with writing.
For further details, call (805) 669-7373 or visit OjaiWritersConference.com
# # #
Literary Vibe in Ojai: Summer Writers Workshops offered in July
Ojai Writers’ Conference expands to a weeklong model featuring Distinguished Master Writing Teachers
OJAI, CA – When a day, a weekend or multi-day event just wasn’t enough time to showcase its roster of distinguished writing experts, the annual Ojai Writers’ Conference decided to devote an entire week to intensive writing.
Ojai Summer Writers Workshops will host Master Writing Teachers from some of the nation’s most esteemed writing programs as well as shine the spotlight on area literary talent.
“We’re thrilled to host some of the best writing teachers on the planet” says Sequoia Hamilton, founder and Ojai resident, “Our uncompromising commitment to showcasing quality teachers is what makes our writing conference and workshops distinct.”
Workshop instructors hail from:
- Iowa’s Writers Workshop and Summer Writing Festival, the first creative writing degree program in the United States whose alumni have won 17 Pulitzer Prizes.
- USC’s School of Cinematic Arts Writing for Screen & Television Division, the most respected program of its kind in the country. Out of thousands of applicants each year, only 26 undergraduate students and 32 graduate students are admitted for their respective degrees.
- Pacifica Graduate Institute’s Mythology Program in nearby Carpinteria, home to Joseph Campbell’s archives and the first mythology graduate program in the nation.
- UCLA Extension Writers’ Program, the largest open-enrollment Creative Writing and Screenwriting program in the nation.
- New York Times best-selling list, including an author who specializes in helping writers pen their memoirs.
- The WAV – Working Artists Ventura, a state-of-the-art community that offers affordable living and workspace for 82 artists from 21 countries.
- Hollywood, as no Southern California writers event would be complete without working industry professionals, including a pitching expert Oprah deems “the best in the business.”
“The locations and the Ojai festivities were intentionally chosen to provide a quaint, unhurried and rich experience for local and visiting writers,” says Hamilton “and the attendance will be limited to keep the workshops intimate and engaging.”
The weeklong writing intensive cost is $1,100. Authors and writers of all skill level are invited to attend.
“This will be seven days of cultural decadence,” adds Hamilton, “We’ll offer professional writing workshops and an eclectic mix of literary events in the evenings. Writers can also enjoy other vibrant community events. There’s no other place on earth I’d rather be in July than in my own hometown of Ojai.”
For further details, call (805) 669-7373 or visit http://www.OjaiWritersConference.com
# # #
Following is associated publicity with past events:
- Huffington Post, March 30, 2011 – Write Better Stories; Go “Inside Story”
- Ventura County Star – Writing classes offered during Ojai WordFest, a 9-day Literary Celebration
- Creative Writing – VIP “Stage & Screen” Weekend Package: Dream weekend designed for aspiring screenwriters and playwrights
- Ventura County Star – Master Classes for Writers during Ojai WordFest
- Ojai Post – Master Class Series Added to Ojai WordFest